Paint and paint thinner should never be thrown in a regular trash can. That includes varnish, wood stainer, paint strippers or any other types of paint. These items are known for causing contamination of water sources. They need to be dropped off at a hazards waste center just like gasoline or motor oil. After you are finished painting your home, don't just toss the leftovers, take care of it and bring it in to be properly disposed. The latex paint can be thrown out with the regular trash, only if the paint in the can is dried out. You can return unused cans of paint to the store.
Think twice before you toss out your old medications. Many people flush them down their toilets or throw them out with dinner leftovers. You should never just carelessly dispose of your medications. These old pills or pharmaceutical drugs can easily contaminate the drinking water. It will not only effect humans, but animals as well. Which in turn throws off the delicate balance of nature. There are many local places that accept these items. Just find a waste place near you and drop off a bag of old medication. Remember never dump your pills down the drain or in the garbage.
When your television breaks, you buy a new one and put the old out by the dumpster. Did you know that there are harmful substances in your television, computer monitors, radios, mp3 players and DVD players? Have you ever heard them talking about heavy metal waste on the news? Strangely enough your electronics contain heavy metals which are toxic to humans and the planet. They need to be disposed of properly or the heavy metals contaminate the soil and water. The effects on humans vary from destroying your teeth to making your nervous system malfunction. Save those around you, the future posterity, and yourself from such ill effects by dropping off your electronics at a recycling facility near you.
Replacing light bulbs is a way of life, you probably don't think about it as you throw away the old one and screw in a new bulb. Yet the florescent light bulbs are very hazardous. Both florescent and compact florescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury. It may seem ridiculous to be worried about a small drop of mercury, but mercury is quick to poison you. Whether released in the air or some drops on your skin, the results will leave you with a chronic and painful mercury poisoning. Take them to a hazardous waste facility to dispose of the poison properly.
In case you haven't heard, there are many items in your home that do not belong in your garbage can. Batteries also contain heavy metals and can be recycled at most large chained stores. Car oil or gasoline needs to be taken to a car repair place that will dispose these hazardous materially correctly. Another obvious candidate to be taken to a local hazardous waste facility would be pesticides. Don't forget about your Ionized chamber smoke detectors which contains radioactive material. Before you trash it, find out whether it is safe or not to throw away that specific item, it will help save a life and the environment.